- FOLLOW AT TWITTER : twitter.com/AMCfearfest -

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

George Pal Pitches War Of The Worlds TV Series



I'm in the process of rewatching the 1988-1990 War Of The Worlds TV Series &  enjoying it.

I have always been a fan of the original Orson Welles radio broadcast....so this comes naturally to me.  In fact I have done a very popular goth infused version of it which is available for. streaming.
Needless to say I'm also a big fan of the 1953 George Pal War Of The Worlds which is a classic to be sure. Those old fifties watch the skies movies are a blast, but getting back on track... While doing some research on the 1988 -  1990 WOTW TV Series I stumbled across this gem about a failed attempt from George Pal to create a series of his own... 
I'll get around to writing a review of the late eighties WOTW series as soon as I complete Season 1, but for now I would like to call attention to the little known attempt by George Pal himself to create a WOTW series of his own in1975.

I'm including some concept art &  the original pitch trailer he used that was ultimately turned down by the networks.


War of the Worlds Pilot Part 1


Also be sure to check out Part 2 & 3...


Other great sites to visit for information on WOTW in its different forms are...


http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/1975-war-of-the-worlds-tv-pitch-by-george-pal.113330/


http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/gall_f46.htm


It was likely turned down due to expense &  being pre Star Wars sci fi wasn't heavily sought after by networks. I wonder if the timing wlild have been different enougj to coincide a lost Star Wars pitch if the attitudes would  have changed? In any event it's interesting to see a legendary filmmakers vision at what likely would have been a groundbreaking TV series should look like.


Earlier I mentioned my own reinvisioning of the Orson Welles WOTW radio broadcast as a normal radio shkw being interrupted by news reports of an invasion from Mars.  It's been a favorite of my fans for a long time.  So I'll post a link to it here. I'm proud of it.

Hope you enjoy.
Cheers!
Mr Dark

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/mr-darks-audio-nasty/e/41074912?autoplay=true


P. S.  I ignore the Steven Spielberg WOTW simply because I hated it. The little girl screaming was annoying &  I just really disliked it. I suppose I'm a purest as I tend to appreciate the originals the best. Perhaps it's a fault &  perhaps not but do excuse my exclusion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment